California homeowners procrastinate on CO safety
MEBANE, N.C.—July 1 marked the anniversary of California’s new law requiring carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in most homes. But a survey this summer found that while more than half of Californians were aware of this law, many have not taken the time to help protect themselves from the odorless, colorless and invisible threat.
Nearly half (46 percent) of respondents said they did not have a CO alarm in their homes despite the overwhelming presence of both fuel-burning appliances and attached garages, both major risk factors for CO poisoning.
The survey, conducted on behalf of Kidde, a leading manufacturer of residential fire and CO safety products, based here, and the California Safe Homes Coalition, found the primary reason for not installing an alarm was lack of time.