Fire alarm saves historic house

 - 
Wednesday, January 22, 2014

GAGETOWN, Mich.—A monitored security system discovered smoke in the basement of a historic farmhouse in Michigan, alerting firefighters who arrived in time to save the structure and neighboring buildings.

“This is the first real test of the security system installed back in 2012, which worked and was worth every penny spent,” Rose Putnam, a member of friends of the Thumb Octagon Barn, told the Huron Tribune.

The furnace in the farmhouse, part of the Thumb Octagon Barn Agricultural Museum complex, ran out of propane. Then, a pipe in the kitchen sink burst and water got into an electrical box and started a fire, Putnam said in the story.

The Craftsman-style bungalow suffered only smoke and water damage, the story said.