Firefighters patrol library after faulty alarms found
HAMDEN, Conn.—Firefighters are patrolling the stacks of Miller Memorial Library because alarms were installed incorrectly and the system does not work, according to a Nov. 19 local television news report.
Firefighters will continue to monitor the library during all business hours until the building is brought up to code, News 8 reported.
The library’s fire alarm system was replaced a few years ago and must be checked yearly, according to the story.
The system was installed by Pull Stations, a company owned by the wife of former Hamden Fire Marshal Brian Badamo, according to the story. Pull Stations contracts raised conflict-of-interest questions for the fire marshal, who resigned in 2011.
The work necessary to get the building’s fire systems up to code could cost taxpayers as much as $70,000, according to News 8.