Long Island fire company co-sponsors conference

 - 
Friday, June 27, 2014

CENTEREACH, N.Y.—Briscoe Protective Systems, an engineered systems fire and security company based here, recently co-sponsored a Nonprofit Facilities Day Conference. Honored at the event were the parents of a girl whose 2009 death from carbon monoxide spurred New York state to pass a residential CO detector law, called Amanda’s Law, which took effect in 2010.

According to Briscoe, a highlight of the June 12 conference was when Ken and Kim Hansen were honored. Their daughter, Amanda Hansen, 16, died from CO poisoning in 2009 while sleeping over at a friend’s house. The cause was a defective boiler.

Briscoe was part of an educational session titled “Electronic Systems for Security and Remote Facilities Supervision.” Other conference sponsors were the Nonprofit Press and Baruch College, according to Briscoe.